Monday, February 26, 2007

Meeting the students



Meeting the students….

The first day I went to Kyiv Mohyla Academy (UKMA) Faculty of Informatics, the dean Mykola Mykolayevych told me of their crisis. Two professors in the department got suddenly seriously ill, so he asked me to teach two courses to substitute one of the professors. He gave me complete freedom of what to teach, with only condition that the teaching must be in English and start next day. This was an ideal opportunity for me to teach what I want: so we are having two courses on Social Aspects of Technology (Social Informatics) with the focus on international issues of intellectual property and piracy.

I really like the students and the opportunity to get to know them. They are 3rd and 5th year of the University. In their age they are very close to the age my daughter would've been. Who knows, maybe she would've studied in Kyiv Mohyla.

They are the first generation growing up in the post-Soviet, post-Chornobyl period. I want to see who they are, what they think, what their opinions are. UKMA is the top university of Ukraine, aiming to be in the the world's top 50 universities in the next 10 years. The university pride itself on being free of corruption and bribes, and being truly meritocratic in their admissions policies. Competition is intense for each student spot, entrance exams are difficult. Only the best students gain the privilege to study in this University. Most of the students are coming from cities other than Kyiv, so for me it is also interesting to meet new generation of Ukrainians from all over Ukraine.

Did I mention that I really like the students? They are very smart and articulate, and have a very interesting perspectives. During the first class I was asking them what they want to do in the future, many of them already have their own companies or work as programmers and web designers. My favorite answer was though: "I want to be a Cosmonaut". Who does not?

Tom was laughing at me that I had an urge to invite the students to our nice apartment only to remember that our nice apartment is in MILWAUKEE and we and, therefore, students are in KYIV... It is a pity...

No comments: